Malta citizenship - Passport by investment
Malta citizenship by investment - Apply for Malta’s citizenship by investment program
What is Malta’s CBI program?
The citizenship by investment program in Malta, which is now known as the Maltese Citizenship by Naturalization for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment, was newly launched in 2020 and is aimed at high-net-worth individuals who contribute to Malta’s economic development. Citizenship is granted through a certificate of naturalization by the Community Malta Agency.
The Malta citizenship by investment application process is very lengthy and thorough. Malta’s citizenship by investment program requires residency for 36 months, with a 12 month exception for those making a larger investment. The Government of Malta is also committed to a high degree of due diligence so that only candidates who are strongly vetted and deemed to be of impeccable standard will be admitted.
JH Marlin Law has helped many high net worth investors do second passport programs and do citizenship planning.
Interested in a Malta citizenship? J.H. Marlin can help you!
Investment Requirements for Citizenship Application
The citizenship by investment program for Malta requires the following investments:
- Direct Investment & Residency
Applicants must make a contribution of at least €600,000 to the national development fund, as well as provide proof of residency for 36 months. However, an exception is made, requiring proof of only 12 months of residency, for those making a contribution of €750,000. Additionally, for each dependent included in their application, applicants must contribute an extra €50,000.
- Real Estate Purchase or Rental
Applicants must also purchase immovable residential real estate in Malta, with a minimum value of €700,000 and for a minimum period of five years. Otherwise, they can lease a residential property in Malta at a minimum annual rent of €16,000, which must be maintained for five years.
- Charity Donation
The applicant must donate at least €10,000 to a local non-profit organization. The applicant can choose from any approved philanthropic, cultural, artistic, sport, or scientific organizations or societies.
Summary of Main Advantages for Malta Citizenship Program
VISA FREE TRAVEL
Applicant Requirements for a Citizenship Application
In order to be eligible for citizenship by investment in Malta, the main applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have no criminal record
- Be in good health; provide records that they do not suffer from any contagious disease and proof of an international health policy
- Provide proof of residence in Malta for a period of 36 months. This period may be reduced to 12 months subject to a higher exceptional direct investment (see below).
The main applicant may also add dependents to their application, including their spouse or long-term partner, minor children, dependent children who are unmarried under the age of 29, and dependent parents or grandparents over the age of 55.
What is the procedure to become a Malta citizen?
Administration and processing of Maltese citizenship under the Naturalization for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment program is done by the Community Malta Agency. The application process for citizenship by investment in Malta is thorough and undergoes a four-tier due diligence process. It can be broken down into steps:
- Clients reach out to JH Marlin Law
- Initial due diligence checks are performed by JH Marlin Law
- Client agreement is signed with JH Marlin Law
- Required documents are collected and prepared
- Tier 1 due diligence checks completed by the Community Malta Agency
- If successful, residence permit application made to the Community Malta Agency
- If successful, residency is obtained for 36 months. Upon residency approval, a deposit of €10,000 must be made towards the exceptional investment required for citizenship. Residency fees must also be paid.
- Application for citizenship eligibility and corresponding documents are submitted to the Community Malta Agency. Due diligence fees must be paid.
- Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4 due diligence checks are completed by the Community Malta Agency.
- Application submitted to the minister to make a decision on the eligibility to apply for citizenship
- If successful, citizenship application made to the Community Malta Agency after 36 months (or 12 months with exception)
- Community Malta Agency updates due diligence and submits findings to minister
- Minister makes final decision regarding whether citizenship shall be granted
- If successful, applicant makes investment, donation and purchases property as required, and submits proof of these
- Applicant visits Malta to take Oath of Allegiance
- Maltese Certificate of Naturalization and passport is issued
Why work with JH Marlin to become a Malta citizen by investing?
- Over the past five years we have helped hundreds of clients with different citizenship by investment programs, residency by investment programs, and offshore plans. We have a proven track record with great reviews from well known clients.
- We are a firm with professional legal qualifications and a boots on the ground approach meaning we are physically based or have presence in the jurisdiction that you intend to do something in.
- We also have a trusted network of global professionals with an international approach to serving our clients. Some people that assist our clients include accountants, attorneys, entrepreneurs, local agents and advisors who can help our clients achieve their desired results
- We are experienced and efficient. We have improved and streamlined our process to make it a simpler process for clients.
JH Marlin Law has helped clients choose the citizenship program that is right for them for years.
As an experienced licensed agent for citizenship, we can do a detailed analysis of your personal circumstances and provide further information about different citizenship by investment options and corresponding processing times. We will assist you with all the required citizenship documents for you to have a successful application and coordinate with any other parties or local agents involved in the process.
JH Marlin Law has handled hundreds of citizenship applications. We can help you throughout the entire process.
Frequently Asked Questions for Malta Citizenship by Investment
Main applicants can include their spouse or long-term partner, minor children, dependent children who are unmarried under the age of 29, and dependent parents or grandparents over the age of 55.
Residency is required in Malta as part of the citizenship by investment program. You must also visit Malta to take the Oath of Allegiance before citizenship is obtained.
No, dual citizenship is allowed under the citizenship by investment program in Malta.
Citizenship by investment in Malta requires proof of residency. Therefore, the entire process can take between 12-36 months, depending on the investment made. However, if you have already fulfilled the residency requirement, you can secure citizenship in Malta in as little as six months.
Like Canada and the United States, the Maltese passport must be renewed. In Malta, passports must be renewed every 10 years.
Yes, you obtain Maltese citizenship by investment for your entire lifetime. However, if you do not comply with the requirements necessary, Maltese citizenship (and your passport) may be revoked. New citizens are often followed up for a period of five years after citizenship is approved to ensure they are abiding by the necessary regulations.
Yes, any children born to men or women who have already obtained Maltese citizenship through its investment program will also be citizens of Malta, even if they were not born in Europe.
There are nationality bans to citizenship by investment in Malta. These include citizens of Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, North Korea, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, and Venezuela. People with close ties to any of these countries are also not allowed to apply for Malta citizenship by investment.
Yes! In 2020, the citizenship by investment program in Malta reached its cap of 1800 applicants and closed to new applications. However, new regulations granting citizenship by investment have since been introduced which are open and accepting new applications in 2022.
There are many forms that need to be completed as part of the citizenship application process. When you become a client, JH Marlin Law will provide you with the application forms, documents and sample documents specific to your situation. We will help you with the entire citizenship application process. Applicants are required to have a valid passport, a valid national ID such as a driver’s license, a birth certificate, bank statements showing proof of source of funds, amongst other documents. Prior to making a submission of a citizenship by investment application, we will review in detail all the documents in advance to ensure that everything is correct.
The due diligence process entails doing stringent background checks on all applicants who apply for the citizenship program. Having a criminal record can be grounds for citizenship denial. Due diligence is also done by Malta to ensure the applicant is reputable. This includes detailed background checks to ensure there are no criminal ties and that all funds are derived legally
Malta: General Information
Malta is a small island country of just 316 km2 located in the Mediterranean sea, and is part of the European Union. Malta possesses a stable political climate, a fast-growing economy and is known for its reputable banking. Malta is also a popular tourist destination due to its warm climate and culture, as well as its numerous historical monuments and architecture.
Area: 316 km2
Population: 443 k
Languages: Maltese, English