Citizenship by investment Malta - Apply for Malta citizenship by investment program
What is Malta citizenship by investment program?
The citizenship by investment program in Malta, which is now known as the Maltese Citizenship by Naturalization for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment, was newly launched in 2020 and is aimed at high-net-worth individuals who contribute to Malta’s economic development. Citizenship is granted through a certificate of naturalization by the Community Malta Agency.
The Malta citizenship by investment application process is very lengthy and thorough. Malta’s citizenship by investment program requires residency for 36 months, with a 12 month exception for those making a larger investment. The Government of Malta is also committed to a high degree of due diligence so that only candidates who are strongly vetted and deemed to be of impeccable standard will be admitted.
JH Marlin Law has helped many high net worth investors do second passport programs and do citizenship planning.
Interested in a Malta citizenship? J.H. Marlin can help you!
Investment Requirements for Malta Citizenship by Investment 2023
The investment requirements for the Malta Citizenship by Investment program, also known as the Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment, consist of several components.
Applicants must meet these requirements to be eligible for Maltese Citizenship:
- Real Estate Investment or Rental: Applicants are required to either purchase a residential property in Malta with a minimum value of €700,000 or rent a property for a minimum annual rent of €16,000. The property must be retained for at least five years from the date of issuance of the Maltese residence card.
- Contribution to the National Development and Social Fund: Applicants must make a non-refundable contribution to the National Development and Social Fund (NDSF). For the main applicant, the donation amount is €600,000 for the 36-month route or €750,000 for the 12-month route. An additional €50,000 is required for each dependent family member included in the application.
- Government Bonds Investment: For the 12-month residency route, applicants are required to invest at least €150,000 in government bonds or other eligible investments, which must be held for at least five years.
- Due Diligence and Administrative Fees: Applicants must pay due diligence and administrative fees as part of the application process. These fees vary depending on the number of applicants and dependents.
It is essential to work with a reputable law firm or professional services provider such as JH Marlin to ensure a smooth application process and adherence to the investment requirements and other eligibility criteria.
Citizenship by Investment Program Malta
The Malta Citizenship by Investment program, also known as the Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment, offers a route to European citizenship for eligible applicants through real estate investment, donations, and meeting the eligibility criteria set by the Maltese government.
Application Process and Eligibility Requirements
Managed by the Community Malta Agency, the application process involves a four-tier due diligence process, including background checks, verification of source of funds, and assessment of the applicant’s character. Key eligibility requirements include investing in residential property and making a non-refundable donation to the National Development and Social Fund.
The program offers two routes: a 36 months residency route and a 12 months of residency route. Both require applicants to hold a Maltese residence card and fulfill the residency requirements before receiving a certificate of naturalisation and a Maltese passport.
Including Family Members
Dependent children, adult dependent children, and dependent parents can be included in the citizenship application. Necessary documents include passport copies, bank statements, marriage certificates, and medical reports.
Benefits of Maltese Citizenship
Successful applicants enjoy dual citizenship, a European passport, access to reputable healthcare services, and advantageous tax exposure. Malta offers a high quality of life as one of the safest countries in the European Union.
Working with Professionals
It is essential to work with a reputable law firm or professional services provider to ensure a smooth application process and adherence to diligence requirements and procedures. Industry experts and a team of expert advisors can guide applicants through the citizenship process, from the initial eligibility application to obtaining a Maltese passport.
Summary of Main Advantages for Malta Citizenship Program
VISA FREE TRAVEL
Applicant Requirements for a Citizenship Application
In order to be eligible for citizenship by investment in Malta, the main applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have no criminal record
- Be in good health; provide records that they do not suffer from any contagious disease and proof of an international health policy
- Provide proof of residence in Malta for a period of 36 months. This period may be reduced to 12 months subject to a higher exceptional direct investment (see below).
The main applicant may also add dependents to their application, including their spouse or long-term partner, minor children, dependent children who are unmarried under the age of 29, and dependent parents or grandparents over the age of 55.
What is the procedure to become a Malta citizen?
Administration and processing of Maltese citizenship under the Naturalization for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment program is done by the Community Malta Agency. The application process for citizenship by investment in Malta is thorough and undergoes a four-tier due diligence process. It can be broken down into steps:
- Clients reach out to JH Marlin Law
- Initial due diligence checks are performed by JH Marlin Law
- Client agreement is signed with JH Marlin Law
- Required documents are collected and prepared
- Tier 1 due diligence checks completed by the Community Malta Agency
- If successful, residence permit application made to the Community Malta Agency
- If successful, residency is obtained for 36 months. Upon residency approval, a deposit of €10,000 must be made towards the exceptional investment required for citizenship. Residency fees must also be paid.
- Application for citizenship eligibility and corresponding documents are submitted to the Community Malta Agency. Due diligence fees must be paid.
- Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4 due diligence checks are completed by the Community Malta Agency.
- Application submitted to the minister to make a decision on the eligibility to apply for citizenship
- If successful, citizenship application made to the Community Malta Agency after 36 months (or 12 months with exception)
- Community Malta Agency updates due diligence and submits findings to minister
- Minister makes final decision regarding whether citizenship shall be granted
- If successful, applicant makes investment, donation and purchases property as required, and submits proof of these
- Applicant visits Malta to take Oath of Allegiance
- Maltese Certificate of Naturalization and passport is issued
Why work with JH Marlin to become a Malta citizen by investing?
JH Marlin Law has helped clients choose the citizenship program that is right for them for years.
As an experienced licensed agent for citizenship, we can do a detailed analysis of your personal circumstances and provide further information about different citizenship by investment options and corresponding processing times. We will assist you with all the required citizenship documents for you to have a successful application and coordinate with any other parties or local agents involved in the process.
JH Marlin Law has handled hundreds of citizenship applications. We can help you throughout the entire process.
Frequently Asked Questions for Malta Citizenship by Investment
Who can be included in an application for Malta citizenship by investment?
Main applicants can include their spouse or long-term partner, minor children, dependent children who are unmarried under the age of 29, and dependent parents or grandparents over the age of 55.
What are the investment requirements for this program?
Investment requirements include purchasing or renting a residential property in Malta, making a non-refundable donation to the National Development and Social Fund, and fulfilling the eligibility criteria set by the Maltese government.
Is visiting Malta required as part of the process to obtain Maltese citizenship?
Residency is required in Malta as part of the citizenship by investment program. You must also visit Malta to take the Oath of Allegiance before citizenship is obtained.
Do I need to renounce my current citizenship to obtain Maltese citizenship?
No, dual citizenship is allowed under the citizenship by investment program in Malta.
How long does the citizenship application process take?
Citizenship by investment in Malta requires proof of residency. Therefore, the entire process can take between 12-36 months, depending on the investment made. However, if you have already fulfilled the residency requirement, you can secure citizenship in Malta in as little as six months.
How long is the Malta passport valid for?
Like Canada and the United States, the Maltese passport must be renewed. In Malta, passports must be renewed every 10 years.
Is Malta citizenship by investment permanent?
Yes, you obtain Maltese citizenship by investment for your entire lifetime. However, if you do not comply with the requirements necessary, Maltese citizenship (and your passport) may be revoked. New citizens are often followed up for a period of five years after citizenship is approved to ensure they are abiding by the necessary regulations.
Can I maintain my current citizenship while obtaining Maltese Citizenship?
Yes, Malta allows dual citizenship, so you can maintain your current citizenship while obtaining Maltese Citizenship.
Can I pass on my citizenship to future generations?
Yes, any children born to men or women who have already obtained Maltese citizenship through its investment program will also be citizens of Malta, even if they were not born in Europe.
Is Malta citizenship by investment available to all nationalities?
There are nationality bans to citizenship by investment in Malta. These include citizens of Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, North Korea, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, and Venezuela. People with close ties to any of these countries are also not allowed to apply for Malta citizenship by investment.
Is Malta's citizenship by investment program still open?
Yes! In 2020, the citizenship by investment program in Malta reached its cap of 1800 applicants and closed to new applications. However, new regulations granting citizenship by investment have since been introduced which are open and accepting new applications in 2023.
What documents are required for doing Maltese citizenship by investment?
There are many forms that need to be completed as part of the citizenship application process. When you become a client, JH Marlin Law will provide you with the application forms, documents and sample documents specific to your situation. We will help you with the entire citizenship application process. Applicants are required to have a valid passport, a valid national ID such as a driver’s license, a birth certificate, bank statements showing proof of source of funds, amongst other documents. Prior to making a submission of a citizenship by investment application, we will review in detail all the documents in advance to ensure that everything is correct.
What due diligence checks are completed?
The due diligence process entails doing stringent background checks on all applicants who apply for the citizenship program. Having a criminal record can be grounds for citizenship denial. Due diligence is also done by Malta to ensure the applicant is reputable. This includes detailed background checks to ensure there are no criminal ties and that all funds are derived legally.
Who can help me with the application process?
It is crucial to work with a reputable law firm or professional services provider with expertise in the Maltese Citizenship by Investment program such as JH Marlin to ensure a smooth application process and adherence to diligence requirements and procedures.
Malta: General Information
Malta is a small island country of just 316 km2 located in the Mediterranean sea, and is part of the European Union. Malta possesses a stable political climate, a fast-growing economy and is known for its reputable banking. Malta is also a popular tourist destination due to its warm climate and culture, as well as its numerous historical monuments and architecture.
Capital City: Valletta
Area: 316 km2
Languages: Maltese, English
120+ COUNTRIES VISA FREE
- Cape Verde*
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Dominica Republic
- El Salvador
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & The
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Hong Kong*
- Palestinian Territories
- South Korea
- Czech Republic
- Ireland (Rep.)
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Sri Lanka
- Solomon Isl.*
* Visa on arrival
The list of countries is subject to change depending on each government’s policy including access to each country.