Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship Overview
Antigua and Barbuda citizenship by investment is one of the most popular investment immigration citizenship by investment programs in 2023. One of the main reasons why the Antigua CBI program is so popular is that it is the most family inclusive and affordable second passport programs available. This article will outline the benefits and different options for citizenship.
There are several advantages to acquiring Antigua & Barbuda citizenship. Antiguan Citizenship benefits include;
- Visa Free travel: Antigua & Barbuda passport holders have a high level of visa free travel and visa on arrival facilitating international travel. Passport holders have visa-free access to many countries including Hong Kong and EU.
- Tax benefits: Antigua does not have personal income tax, wealth tax, inheritance tax or capital gains tax. Individuals looking for tax planning or asset protection may find the laws in Antigua beneficial. Antigua does not tax worldwide income.
- Dual Citizenship is permitted. Antigua and Barbuda allows citizenship holders to have other citizenships and passports.
- Family inclusivity: This is probably the top reason for choosing Antigua & Barbuda citizenship as it is one of the most family friendly CBI programs on the market. You can include financially dependent children below the age of 30, financially dependent parents over the age of 55 , grandparents and unmarried siblings. The University of the West Indies option is often chosen for families of 6 persons. Under the University of the West Indies option, one family member is entitled to a one-year scholarship to attend the University of West Indies.
- Political and Economic stability: Antigua & Barbuda has maintained political stability over time and has a relatively strong economy. The main industries are tourism and financial services. Investors can feel more secure knowing that Antigua offers a favourable robust business environment for its activities.
- Quality of Life: Antigua and Barbuda offers top quality of life with beautiful beaches, a warm climate, relaxed peaceful environment. If you are a beach person there are over 365 beaches to choose and a welcoming sailing community.
- Educational Opportunities: With citizenship you can access different educational institutions on the island and within the Caribbean region. For large families of 6 there is the possibility that one member of the family receives free first year tuition to the University of West Indies.
- Global Business: If you are looking to do business in the region, having citizenship can come with many advantages including the waiver of ALHL fees on real estate, discounts on hotels and services within the region and more
The requirements and costs for citizenship by investment can vary over time. St.Kitts & Nevis Citizenship by investment recently increased in fees and it is likely that many other Caribbean Citizenship by Investment programs will follow suit and change their pricing. The trend has been to increase the fees for doing CBI and implement more requirements. To ensure you are not subject to a price increase, it would be important to have your economic citizenship application submitted and in processing.
Different options for Antigua & Barbuda citizenship by investment. What option should I choose?
There are a few investment options to choose from. While most people choose to do a non-refundable donation to the country there is also an increasing number of people seeking out Antigua & Barbuda real estate options for citizenship.
- One option is the National Development Fund. By making a non-refundable contribution to the National Development Fund one can obtain citizenship for themselves and their family. The cost depends on the number of dependents included in the application and starts at US$100,000 with a US$30,000 processing fee for a single applicant or family of 4.
- The University of the West Indies Fund is best priced for families of 6 and the investment donation contribution is US$150,000. Under this option it is possible for one family member to be
- Another option is to invest in government approved Real Estate projects that qualify for citizenship. The minimum investment amount starts at US$200,000 (through joint investment) or US$400,000. Additional government fees are applicable. Real Estate must be maintained for a five-year period.
- Business investment: You can choose to do an investment into an approved business project.
Note that under all options due diligence fees, passport fees and agent fees apply.
Choosing what investment option is best for you is a personal decision.
To be eligible for citizenship foreign investors must not have a criminal record and be of sounds character. The principal applicant must be the age of majority. You must not be a citizen of a restricted country such as North Korea. You must meet the financial requirements and investment requirements.
All applications for citizenship must go through a licensed local licensed agent. Antigua and Barbuda is known for its breathtaking landscape and pristine white soft sand beaches. From water sports, to sailing yachting and hiking there are plenty of activities to do. Every year Antigua hosts a Yacht Regatta, celebrates carnival and other cultural and music festivals take place throughout the year
YES. In fact, Antigua & Barbuda citizenship by investment is the most family friendly especially for larger families. Often times, people are able to include their entire family in an application. You can include adult dependents as well as children dependents. It is important to verify with your licensed agent that all dependents do qualify for citizenship. It is also possible to add additional family members at a later date. The costs vary depending on your family composition.
The application process can be summarized as follows:
Step 1: Provide an electronic copy of your passport
Step 2: We will prepare the initial documentation for you to complete to start the process
Step 3: We will go over all the documents that you need to complete and obtain.
Step 4: Payment of due diligence & processing fee to start the process in advance
Step 5: Send us the completed citizenship application once the file is complete and reviewed by us
Step 6: Your full application will be submitted and we will follow up with the citizenship by investment unit (Antigua & Barbuda CIP)
Step 7: Once approved we will send you the letter for citizenship approval. You will make the donation. We will also have you complete a passport application form.
Step 8: You will be issued a Certificate of Citizenship. We will prepare documents and collect your passport.
The citizenship process might seem overwhelming at first .
We will provide a detailed list of documents when you become a client as well as sample documents. We will help guide you throughout the entire process, help you with all the documents and book appointments if necessary. Required documents include; birth certificate, valid passport, valid national Identification, bank statements, bank reference letter, proof of address, professional reference letter, medical certificates, police clearance reports amongst other documents. Some original documents may be requested whereas other documents require notarization or an apostille.
While some sources may indicate that it takes 3-4 months or 3-6 months to obtain citizenship in our experience it can take around 6 months or more. The processing time for citizenship can vary on a case by case basis. The longest part is the due diligence process where the Antigua CIP conducts due diligence background checks on all applicants. This can sometimes take 4-6 months.
Yes. Citizenship can be passed down via descent.
The Antigua and Barbuda Economic Citizenship Program started in 2012. Other Caribbean Economic Citizenship countries that started before Antigua & Barbuda include St.Kitts & Nevis and Dominica
There are some celebrity residents that choose to call Antigua and Barbuda home. Antigua has a growing expat community with likely the most developed expat community of countries that offer citizenship by investment. Famous celebrities that have spent time vacationing in Antigua include Paul McCartney, Mariah Carey, Will Smith and Lionel Messi amongst others.
There are many direct flights to Antigua and local flights within the region. You can also travel to the country via boat.
There are many different options from high-end boutique hotels, modest hotel properties, private villas and apartments. Many rental websites like airbnb and Vrbo list properties that are available for rent.
Other Caribbean countries that offer citizenship by investment include; Dominica, Grenada, St.Lucia, St Kitts & Nevis. There are difference between these different Caribbean options for citizenship. We would be happy to discuss your situation further to help you determine which Caribbean passport would be best for you.
Antigua & Barbuda is known for its natural beauty and being a high-end tourism destination. The beautiful islands are surrounded by turquoise waters and every year the islands welcome people from all around the world.
No, there are no language requirements for citizenship.
St.Lucia and Dominica are known as the cheapest options for doing Caribbean citizenship by investment. However, these countries are not tax neutral like Antigua. Additionally, Antigua you have
Depending on your circumstances, Antigua & Barbuda could be an excellent option for citizenship as it is an inclusive option.
For more information don’t hesitate to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
JH Marlin are citizenship advisers. Our expert team have helped people from 40+ countries complete the citizenship process.